Following COVID Circuit Breaker Restrictions implemented May 28, some specialists may reschedule appointments or move consultations to telehealth.
In that instance your specialist will contact you.
Due to COVID-19 physical distancing restrictions in the BRHS Consulting Rooms waiting areas, please observe the following when presenting for your appointment:
- Friends, partners or family members will not be permitted inside Consulting Rooms unless they are essential carers. If someone drives you to your appointment, they should wait in the car or outside the Consulting Rooms.
- Please do not arrive more than 10 minutes prior to your appointment time. If you do arrive more than 10 minutes early you may be asked to wait outside or in your car.
- Only present to the Consulting Rooms for an appointment. If you have any questions about your treatment or appointment, please give us a call on 5150 3478, or email email@example.com.
Bairnsdale Regional Health Service proudly supports a wide variety of staff and visiting medical and surgical specialists to consult from our rooms, offering an excellent service to our community.
We are pleased to be able to provide patients the convenience of being able to see their specialist locally, and make every effort to offer a responsive service.
Making an Appointment
All specialists require a referral. This helps ensure you see the correct specialist for your condition and allows you to claim reimbursement from Medicare for the visit. Your referring medical practitioner will send your referral directly to us or provide you with a copy to arrange your appointment.
We are unable to schedule your appointment until we have a copy of your referral on hand. This ensures we allocate the correct type of appointment for you.
Please allow at least 14 business days after seeing your medical practitioner for us to receive your referral. Once we receive it, your referral will be acknowledged by phone or SMS.
Upon acceptance of your referral the Consulting Rooms Administration Team at BRHS will contact you to arrange your appointment or advise that you have been placed on a waiting list.
If you haven’t heard from our team or are concerned we may not have received your referral, please call our administration team on 5150 3478 to check on progress.
Upon allocation of your appointment you will receive confirmation in writing of your appointment date and time. Confirmation may have specific information regarding your appointment. Our confirmation may be sent via SMS, email or post.
If you have a preference please discuss with our friendly administration team.
Wait times can vary for appointments depending upon demand. If you are concerned about the wait time for your appointment please talk over this with your referring medical practitioner as there may be other options available to you.
Billing Information – Specialist Clinic
BRHS Specialist Clinic (Public Patients)
- You do not need to pay.
- You must show the receptionist a valid Medicare card.
BRHS Specialist Clinic (MBS Billable)
- You do not need to pay, including any out-of-pocket fees.
- You agree to have your consultation bulk-billed under Medicare.
- You need to sign a Medicare form.
Visiting Specialist Clinic (Attending as a private patient of a visiting specialist.)
- You will need to present your Medicare card.
- There may be an out of pocket fee. Please discuss with your specialist.
If you do not have a valid Medicare card you may have to pay the whole amount for the consultation.
Please speak to reception staff if you do not have a valid Medicare card.
BRHS Specialist Clinics
- General and Minor Surgery
- Rehabilitation Physician
Visiting Services, Specialist and Other Services
- Holter Monitor Service
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Paediatric Surgeon
- Respiratory Physician
- Respiratory Testing
- Vascular Surgeon
- Victorian Infant Hearing Service
Stress Echocardiogram and Echocardiography are no longer conducted in the Consulting Rooms, and have moved to our Medical Imaging dept. For more information visit the Medical Imaging webpage.
Telehealth appointments are now offered in certain BRHS clinics and programs. Speak with your GP if you are interested in having a consultation via Telehealth. Our specialists will triage your referral and determine if Telehealth is suitable for your care.